31 Dec Healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole
This casserole is a remake of your childhood favorite just healthier and tastier. With your choice of pasta, tender chicken, broccoli and the most delicious creamy cheddar mushroom sauce.
I’m a Pinterest person so I stole this recipe but man is it AMAZING! Like Ali says for those of you crave a good throwback chicken casserole every now and then ( Like Me) You’re going to love this recipe.
Meet Ali’s 100% from-scratch, lightened-up, still-ultra-creamy-and-cheese, comforting chicken and broccoli casserole recipe.
It’s made with all the classic components from the good ‘ol days. Except it an easy homemade creamy mushroom sauce. Made with lots of fresh mushrooms and zesty seasonings to ensure that this casserole is anything but bland.
Lets Make Some Yummy Food!
CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS
Alright! Before we get to the recipe, we need to talk about the shopping list. To make our broccoli chicken, you will need.
- Pasta: Seriously any type that you love best will work here – I love whole wheat but you can go with any – traditional (semolina), whole-wheat, gluten-free, egg, or any other kind of alternative grain pastas that you prefer.
- Broccoli: You can either use fresh broccoli (about 1 large head, cut into florets) or frozen broccoli (1 pound).
- Mushrooms: Any kind you like best will work.
- Creamy Sauce Stuff: Butter (or Olive Oil), Onion, Garlic, flour, stock (chicken or veggie), milk (any kind) Dijon, salt and pepper.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: I recommend buying good-quality block cheese, I like Velveeta. Ali recommends buying good-quality aged sharp cheddar, and shredding it yourself.
- Chicken: Any cooked chicken will work. You can use my baked chicken recipe, you can sauté two breasts in olive oil in a skillet until through or for a short cut, feel free to use a rotisserie chicken.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CASSEROLE
- Cook the pasta and broccoli: Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water (don’t forget a generously salt the water!) until it is AL DENTE. But-plot twist!-toss the broccoli florets into the water about 1 minute before the pasta is done cooking to give it a quick cook too. Drain Both!
- Make the mushroom sauce: Meanwhile, we’ll work on the sauce. Sauté the onion, followed by the mushrooms and garlic in butter (or oil) until softened. Stir in some flour and let it cook for 1 minute (this will help thicken the sauce), Then add in the stock, milk, Dijon, salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce reaches a simmer. Stir in half of the shredded cheese, taste. and adjust any seasonings as needed.
- Put everything together. In a large 9 x 13 – inch baking dish, give everything a good toss (like you mean it) – the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken – until combined.
- Bake. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top on the casserole, and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.
- ENJOY! Serve nice and warm, garnished with extra black pepper and/or fresh herbs, if you desire.
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (any kind will work)
- 1 large head of broccoli*. cut into bite- sized florets (about 1 pound of florets)
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (your choice) Ali uses baby bella (cremini), thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic. minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups diced (or shredded) cooked chicken
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted boiling water until it is AL DENTE. However, about 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the boiling pasta water and stir until combined. Drain both the pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter (or oil) in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir until combined. cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add in the stock, and stir everything together until most of the clumps are gone. Add in the milk, Dijon, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese until it is combined. Taste and season how you like it as need with salt and pepper.
- In a large 9 x 13 – inch baking dish, combine the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken. Toss until combined. Smooth the casserole out into the baking pan evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top, and bake for another 10 minutes until cheese is nice and melted the way you want it.
- Serve warm, garnish with extra black pepper and/or fresh herbs whatever you wish.